Skip to main content

Introducing the Artboard panel in Illustrator cs6



In this movie I'll how you how to delete and organize artboards from the Artboards panel. 

 Illustrator CS6 Tutorial Video


I've gone ahead and saved this document 12-page mess.ai because it is a 12-page mess after all.

Let's say I want to tidy things up here, so we end up with ten identically sized artboards,

all of which are absolutely in order.

Let's say I make some additional modifications to what I've got so far.

I'll go ahead and switch over to the Artboard tool, and then I'll Alt-click or Option-click

on this Artboard 4 here in order to select it independently of the Uberboard, and I'll

drag it down to the lower right corner.

Then I'll Alt-click or Option-click on Artboard 8 and move it up to this location.

And now let's say I want to add another artboard, but I'm going to do so from the Artboard panel.

I'll go up to the Window menu which lists all the panels inside Illustrator cs6, which we'll

discuss in more detail in a later chapter.

I'll drop down to this command right there Artboard and click on it and that brings up

Artboards panel over here in the lower right region of the screen by default.

I'm going to drag up on the top of the panel so I can see every one of my 12 artboards so far.

Then I'm going to drop down this little page icon which allows me to create a new artboard,

that's exactly the same size as the selected artboard.

So I'll go ahead and click on it.

We end up with a new artboard way over there in the top right section of the screen.

In order to see it better, I'll go up to the View menu and choose Fit All in Window, or

you can press Ctrl+Alt+0, or Command+Option+0 on a Mac.

And that's one of the many navigation functions that's available to you in Illustrator, all

of which we'll discuss in more detail in the next chapter, and I'm going to go ahead and

drag this artboard into its new location.

Now what I want to do is get rid of the Uberboard here, as well as these two little artboards.

We'll go ahead and Alt-click a couple of times, it'd be an Option-click a couple of times

there on the one that's number 11.

But it's reading as Artboard 4, and I'll just call it miniboard 1 so that we can keep track of it.

I'll do the same with this one.

I'll go ahead and Alt-click on it, Option-click on a Mac, and change its name to miniboard 2.

And that's just so we can make sense of these artboards here inside the Artboards panel.

What you think you might be able to do is with one of the boards selected you could

Shift-click on another artboard to add it to the selection, because Shift-clicking does

add to a selection elsewhere inside Illustrator cs6

 Illustrator CS6 Tutorial Video
It doesn't work here however inside the Artboard mode.

Instead you end up drawing a new very tiny artboard, which obviously is not what we want.

However, you can select multiple artboards from the Artboards panel.

If I click on Uberboard, and then Shift- click on miniboard 2, notice that I select that

range of artboards right there.

And then I could add the nonadjacent Artboard 8, which is that tiny thing I just created

a moment ago, by Ctrl-clicking on it that would be a Command-click on the Mac.

So Shift-clicking on artboards inside the panel selects multiple adjacent artboards,

whereas Ctrl-clicking, or Command-clicking adds a nonadjacent artboard to the selection.

Now rather than pressing the Backspace key or the Delete key on the Mac, which would

select just the one artboard that appears to be selected here inside the Document window,

instead you go ahead and drag any one of the selected artboards on to the trashcan, and

that will go ahead and get rid of them.

Now let's make some sense of this document here.

Obviously the numbers are fairly wrong at this point, and we're missing one.

So I'm going to click on the Type tool to select it, or I could press the T key, and

then I'll go ahead and select the 8 and make it 4; select the 4, make it a 5; select the 5, make it a 6.

So a lot of busy work here. Select the 6, make it a 7; the 7, make it an 8.

Go ahead and select that final 4 and make it a 0.

And then I'll return to my Black Arrow tool just by clicking on it, and you can see that

Illustrator CS6 Tutorial Video

So I'm going to go up to the Edit menu and choose the Copy command or press Ctrl+C, or

Command+C on the Mac, and then I'll click on this ninth page right there, and I'll go

up to the Edit menu, and I'll choose this command, Paste in Front, which has a keyboard

shortcut of Ctrl+F, Command+F on a Mac.

That goes ahead and aligns the number to that artboard, and then I'll press the T key to

switch back to my Type tool, go ahead and select that 0, change it to a 9, and then

let's similarly modify the artboard.

So I'll go ahead and click on the Artboard tool to switch away from the Type tool.

Notice that we have Artboard 1 through 3 just fine but then everything becomes a mess as

of this Artboard 8 which should be 4.

So I'll go ahead and click on it to make it active, and I'll change its name to Artboard 4.

Then I'll click on this Artboard 4 copy 2, and I'll change its name to Artboard 5, and

I'll click on Artboard 5 and change its name to Artboard 6.

I know a lot busy work, but this is the kind of stuff you do routinely when you're working

with multiple artboards inside of Illustrator.

It can be a little cumbersome, a little labor-intensive as well, but you do have a great deal of flexibility.

So I'm changing the names of all these artboards to match their numbers essentially, but that

doesn't really take care of a problem because I've got Artboard 1, 2 and 3 according to

the little numbers up there in the upper left- hand corner followed by 8, 10, 5, 6, 7, 9, and 4.

So the artboards aren't in the right order, and this can be a problem.

I'm going to double-click on Artboard 1 here inside the Artboards panel which will zoom

me in on that page.

And then I can advance to the next page by clicking on this little Next button down here

in the lower left-hand corner of the window. That'll take me to 2, and then the 3.

And then if I click that Next button again, I will go to what I'm thinking is Artboard

10, but it's really numbered 4.

Now I should mention you also have a Previous button if you want to go back.

If you want to do this from the keyboard, you press Shift+Page Down to go to the next

page, or you press Shift+Page Up to go to the previous page.

But for any of this to work the pages need to be in the right order.

What I'm going to do is go back up to the View menu and again choose Fit All in Window

in order to zoom out from my artboards.
Illustrator CS6 Tutorial Video

Notice that they appear in this wrong order here inside the Artboards panel, and it's

the order inside the panel that determines the real order of those pages.

So if I want 10 to be the last page, I need to go ahead and drag Artboard 10 to the end of the list.

Notice you can also select an artboard such as 9 which is out of place, and I could nudge

it down by just clicking on the Move Down icon here at the bottom of the Artboard panel.

4 and 5 are adjacent to each other, so I'll click on one Shift-click on the other, then

I'll drag one of these pages and notice, this is being interpreted as a double-click for

some reason, which is why we just zoomed in on the page.

But I'll go ahead and drag both of them up the list, so we now have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 in sequential order.

And so that means now that I'm looking at Page 4, I could press Shift+Page Down to advance

to Page 5, Shift+Page Down again to go to 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, which has a 0 on it.

Again, a little bit labor-intensive, a lot of busy work going on there, but that's how

you delete and manage your artboards from the Artboards panel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adobe Photoshop cs6 tutorial pdf

Adobe Photoshop cs6 tutorial pdf ,yes we have simplified your search about Adobe Photoshop cs6 tutorial pdf.We will explain you in brief as well as Give you the Pdf download also. Adobe Photoshop Cs6 Tutorial , Photoshop learning with new Adobe Photoshop cs6 serial number is what you find everyday but we will tell you how to use the Features. Adobe Photoshop cs6 Features is the leader in the market of photo editing software. You will always find hard to find serial numbers but before getting the serial number we will tell you in detail how to use the Adobe Photoshop Cs6 with tutorial. To understand Adobe Photoshop cs6 with full features we will take you the complete guide of it so that you are easily able to understand the Full tutorial of Adobe Photoshop Cs6. You might be having the Full software of Adobe Photoshop Cs6 pdf   i f you have than it is fine otherwise you should download the trial version from the official Adobe Website.When your download is complete than you

Adobe Illustrator CS6 Tutorial on Demand PDF

Adobe Illustrator CS6 on Demand PDF has been created by the professional trainers and writers at Perspection, Inc. to the standards you’ve come to expect from Que publishing. Together, we are pleased to present this training book. Perspection, Inc. is a software training company committed to providing information and training to help people use software more effectively in order to communicate, make decisions, and solve problems. Perspection writes and produces software training books, and develops multimedia and web-based training. Since 1991, we have written more than 120 computer books, with several bestsellers to our credit, and sold over 5 million books. This book incorporates Perspection’s training expertise to ensure that you’ll receive the maximum return on your time. You’ll focus on the tasks and skills that increase productivity while working at your own pace and convenience. We invite you to visit the Perspection web site at: www.perspection.com The task of creat

Adobe Illustrator CS6 Tutorial PDF Classroom in a Book

Adobe Illustrator CS6 Tutorial Pdf Classroom in a Book 2012 | PDF + EPUB | 480 pages | 181 MB Creative professionals seeking the fastest, easiest, most comprehensive way to learn Adobe Illustrator CS6 choose Adobe Illustrator CS6 Classroom Pdf in a Book from the Adobe Creative Team at Adobe Press. The 15 project-based lessons in this book show readers step-by-step the key techniques for working in Illustrator CS6 and how to create vector artwork for virtually any project and across multiple media: print, websites, interactive projects, and video. in addition to learning the key elements of the Illustrator interface, this completely revised CS6 edition covers the new tracing engine with improved shape and color recognition, a new pattern toolset with on-artboard controls and one-click tiling, a completely overhauled performance engine and modernized user interface for working more efficiently and intuitively, and more. “The Classroom in a Book series